Project Atlas involves the delivery of natural gas from coal seams on acreage located near Wandoan and Miles in Queensland’s Surat Basin. Senex was awarded the acreage by the Queensland Government through a competitive tender process in September 2017, with all gas to be sold to the domestic market. First gas is targeted for 2019.
This is the Queensland Government’s first domestic gas acreage tender, an innovative initiative to increase supply of gas and help to provide energy security for businesses and households on Australia’s east coast.
The Greek name ‘Atlas’ has been chosen by Senex’s people and means strength, integrity and resilience. To Senex, Project Atlas symbolises stronger domestic energy security for Australian businesses and households, delivered with integrity and resilience, and creating growth and opportunities for Senex and its stakeholders.
- Acreage spans 58 square kilometres near Miles and Wandoan
- First gas targeted for 2019
- All gas will be sold to domestic gas customers
- Estimated P50 recoverable gas volumes of 201 petajoules*
- Expected investment of over $200 million to drill around 100 wells and construct supporting infrastructure
- Expected job creation of around 150 jobs over the project life
- Senex will look to hire and buy locally where possible
- Senex will engage with potential gas customers and sign gas supply contracts from early 2018
Senex is currently focused on securing regulatory and environmental approvals and working closely with key stakeholders including the local community.
If you have any queries in these early stages, please contact Senex by email using the Contact Us form or by phone on 1800 811 165.